For the 2014-2015 year, students must submit the Shea House application directly to the housing department on their website. Please refer to the FAQ if there are any unaddressed questions. If your question has not been answered please contact the director of Shea House Ahmad Obiedat.
Language Advisor Application
Shea House seeks Language Assistants (LA's) to live and work in the various language blocks. LA's must have either native or near-native fluency in the block's language. LA's receive free room and board in the Shea House. Duties require approximately 5 hours per week and include:
- running a weekly "corner" or "table" for one hour in which all residents in the language group are required to participate.
- engaging in dinner conversations with your language group for approximately half an hour per night, Monday through Thursday.
- organizing cultural events for Shea House residents, and coordinating the events with other Language Assistants and House Staff.
In addition, each LA will meet with their language Coordinator on a biweekly basis to discuss upcoming actiities. La's as a group will meet with the house director on a biweekly basis to review past a future activitis, and will participate biweekly meetings of the Shea house Government.
Those wishing to apply should download the following form. Applications for Arabic, Chinese, Hindi-Urdu, Persian, and Japanese should be submitted to the Department of East Asian Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, 530 Cabell Hall, and applications for Italian should be submitted to the Department of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese, 128 Wilson Hall, Attn. Professor Enrico Caseratti. Interviews may be arranged with some applicants. The same submission deadline applies to all language programs.
Applications for Language Assistants specifically should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shea House is a total language immersion environment
- It is conveniently located 5 minutes away from central grounds
- Students are provided with full laundy facilities, central heating and air conditioning, high-speed Ethernet connections in each room, asn spacious common areas
- Food is provided by ARAMARK mon-thurs dinners
- An in-house kitchen is available for use by residents
- UVA Housing Division spent over three and a half million dollars on this new building
- The residents are friendly and fun