Applications for the 2015-2016 year will open on October 17th, 2014 on the University of Virginia Housing and Residence Life website. The deadline for applications for returning students is November 5th and the deadline for incoming students is November 14th, 2014.
For the 2015-2016 year, students must submit the Shea House application directly to the housing department on their website. Please refer to the FAQ if there are any unaddressed questions. If your question has not been answered please contact the director of Shea House Ahmad Obiedat.
Language Advisor Application
Shea House seeks Language Assistants (LAs) to live and work in the various language blocks. LAs must have either native or near-native fluency in the block's language. LAs receive free room and board in the Shea House. Duties require approximately 5 hours per week and include:
- running a weekly "corner" or "table" for one hour in which all residents in the language group are required to participate.
- engaging in dinner conversations with your language group for approximately half an hour per night, Monday through Thursday.
- organizing cultural events for Shea House residents, and coordinating the events with other Language Assistants and House Staff.
In addition, each LA will meet with their Language Coordinator on a biweekly basis to discuss upcoming activities. LAs as a group will meet with the House Director on a biweekly basis to review past and future activities, and will participate in biweekly meetings of the Shea House Government.
Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are applying to be an LA you must also complete a housing application for the Shea House.
Those wishing to apply should download the following form. Interviews may be arranged with some applicants. The same submission deadline applies to all language programs. LA applications for the 2015-2016 academic year are due November 14th, 2014.
For LA applicants go to this site, download the application form (last one on that page). In the application form, there is an explanation on how to apply which includes the email address where they submit.
- Shea House is a total language immersion environment
- It is conveniently located 5 minutes away from central grounds
- Students are provided with full laundy facilities, central heating and air conditioning, high-speed Ethernet connections in each room, and spacious common areas
- Food is provided by ARAMARK Monday-Thursday for dinner
- An in-house kitchen is available for use by residents
- UVA Housing Division spent over three and a half million dollars on this new building
- The residents are friendly and fun